I did just hear "il a fait une erreur" and I thought it was pronounced as:

Il a fet une erreur

But the voice I hear is:

Il a finerreur

Why does fait become fin in my ears?

You don't have to put the /t/ on fait ... it's an optional liaison. So the /n/ you're hearing comes from une. And in fast speech, the vowels might get slurred together, or one could be dropped. – Peter Shor May 9 at 13:42
  • @PeterShor So it's OK to say il a fet un-erreur here?` – Daniel Mårtensson May 9 at 13:51
  • It's okay. That's what optional (liaison facultative) means. – Peter Shor May 9 at 13:54
  • @PeterShor So some people drop the t in fait and some don't? – Daniel Mårtensson May 9 at 13:55
  • @PeterShor So what do you think is the most correct way to pronunce il a fait une erreur? I think il a fet unerreur have a very smooth way. – Daniel Mårtensson May 9 at 13:58

The most common pronunciations in France are:

[ilafɛ ynɛʁœʁ] (ilafè unèreur)

and

[ilafe yneʁœʁ] (ilafé unéreur)

The liaison is possible [ilafɛtynɛʁœʁ] (ilafètunèreur) but extremely rare in casual French and still uncommon in formal French. An exception would be a French language teacher providing hints to schoolchildren during a dictée.

When the sentence is spoken quickly, the initial I can be slightly or significantly dropped and the U can be soften and often turned into a "schwa".

[lafɛənɛʁœʁ]

This seems to be what your heard as "Il a finerreur".

| improve this answer | |
  • I think the pronunciation [fɛ] for "fait" is still considered (for now) as the standard pronunciation (that is the one given by dictionaries), and [fe] a regional variation - although very widespread (from my experience, even definitely the most common one in Southern France). – Greg May 10 at 5:17
  • @Greg Dictionaries just happen to almost exclusively report the "educated" Parisian/TV/Radio pronunciation. MASCARILLE.- Pour moi, je tiens que hors de Paris, il n’y a point de salut pour les honnêtes gens. Molière, Les précieuses ridicules, 1659. Paris is, as far as linguistics are concerned, just another region. – jlliagre May 10 at 13:58
    @jiliagre: totally agree, and no judgment of value on any so-called regional variations. I just wanted to point it out as the OP seems to be a non-native learner, and I expect the standard pronunciation [fɛ] is what is taught to such learners, so it might be a bit surprising to come across [fe]. But I could even bet that [fe] will become the prevalent pronunciation in a couple of decades. – Greg May 10 at 14:43
  • @Greg I might have not point this distinction in my reply because it often doesn't matter a lot. Spanish phonology only list /e/ as and rarely report /ɛ/ usage, even while it sometimes exists. Most English variants do not care that much either about whether to report /ɛ/ vs /e/. See phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2009/03/more-about-e-and.html . This seems to apply to Swedish too according to this statement found on the Swedish phonology Wikipedia page: In many central and eastern areas (including Stockholm), the contrast between short /ɛ/ and /e/ is lost. – jlliagre May 10 at 15:58
  • Maybe I am influenced by my Belgian background where the opposition /ɛ/ vs. /e/ is still more vivid than in other regions, as for other phonemes (I had a funny experience years ago, when a French guest speaker came to my university in Brussels, and in a lecture kept on hammering "qui sait ?", " qui sait ?", and it took a moment for all Belgian students to understand he did not mean "qui c'est ?") – Greg May 10 at 16:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.