I understand the translation to roughly be: I would like you to do/make an X-ray.

So wouldn't the second 'faire' result in: I would like you to do to make an X-ray?

Is it something to do with the fact that 'faire une radiographie' is a specific phrase that then needs to be indicated to be done?

Follow-up question: What is the difference between je voudrais vous refaire faire une radiographie and je voudrais vous faire refaire une radiographie ;-) – jlliagre May 15 at 18:35
  • I woulfd like to have you have your hair cut . If it is correct in english, the case is rather analogous. – user20839 May 18 at 10:53

This is a passive construction.

Je voudrais vous faire une radiographie. C'est moi qui vais vous la faire.

Je voudrais vous faire faire une radiographie. C'est une troisième personne qui va la faire.

As in English with the construction make sb do sth.

The construction "faire faire" means externaliser, sous-traiter, concéder (un travail, un marché) à un sous-traitant.

See here https://www.anglaisfacile.com/exercices/exercice-anglais-2/exercice-anglais-105563.php

for a nice explanation.

Also here (in French): https://lemondedufrancais.com/2012/02/17/construction-passive-se-faire-infinitif/

| improve this answer | |

Dimitris' answer is correct; a little more about the two uses of 'faire' in this sentence, because the confusion comes in part from those two uses in the same sentence.

Faire has the obvious meaning "to do, to make", as in

Je vous fais un cafe? (Shall I make you a coffee?), or

Je voudrais vous faire une radiographie. (I would like to do your X-Ray).

The second use of faire is the passive construct:

Je vais me faire couper les cheveux. (I'm going to get my hair cut)

Je vais vous faire faire une radiographie (I'm going to get your X-Ray done|to get someone to do your X-Ray)

So in faire faire, both senses of the verb as used in succession, which is often translated as "to get done".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.