I'm trying to translate "to carry out a study" like in the following context:

Two scientists carried out a study on X.

I came up with:

réaliser une étude sur quelque chose


faire une recherche sur quelque chose.

Would any of those work?

  • 1
    The original title "carry out a research" is incorrect in English (research is not a count noun). I've modified it to "carry out a study"; we can also say "carry out research" as a mass noun, but in context it sounds like you mean an individual item of research, which is a study.
    – Luke Sawczak
    May 18 '20 at 15:53
  • @LukeSawczak Whoops, thank you!
    – lmc
    May 18 '20 at 16:02

I think that both of your proposals are correct. In the case of a scientific research you could use mener or mener à bien.


  • 1
    Pour traduire toute l'expression, je pense que "mener une étude" est la meilleure solution. May 19 '20 at 12:26

"Réaliser une étude sur qqch" est tout à fait correct. On peut aussi dire : "Effectuer une étude sur qqch".

Voir : https://www.linguee.fr/anglais-francais/traduction/carry+out+a+study.html


In French (I am French), the 2 answers are corrects. But, in the everyday language, we use "faire une recherche...(sur)". Nevertheless, in French, we use the verb "faire" for a lot of expressions. So, if you want more correct French, use "réaliser une étude (sur)..."

  • Attention: in French; in English, etc (that is, capital letter) and en français, en anglais and so on.
    – Dimitris
    May 18 '20 at 21:12
  • Also. I am French (and not french).
    – Dimitris
    May 18 '20 at 21:12
  • "Faire une recherche" sounds like “performing a search” for me, i.e. typing something into Google or possibly heading out ot the local library but not engaging in scientific research.
    – Relaxed
    May 19 '20 at 10:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.