I feel like I’m making up a phrase with my limited, but growing, French Language abilities.

A direct translation on google translate does appear to carry the meaning that I intend: Loosely, “Get up and live” or more specifically, “Get up / Stand up for yourself and live your life.” But is this actually the case or would it be confusing to the native French speaker?

• No native speaker. Here is my two cents. I would say something like : "leve-toi et vis ta vie". – Dimitris May 29 at 13:44
  • Specifically, are you asking about "Get up, Stand Up" by Bob Marley and The Wailers? I've heard it translated as « Lève-toi, debout » et « Lève-toi, tiens debout ». – livresque May 29 at 22:22

There is a difference if the original sentence is "Get up and live" or "Stand up for yourself and live your life".

If it's the former, Dimitris' answered it correctly, and I agree with him on the "strong" feeling around it.

If it's the latter, it would be closer to something like:

Affirme-toi et vis ta vie.

Which makes more sense than litterally standing up. Depending on references, it could also be translated as Défends-toi or Ne te laisse pas marcher sur les pieds, the idea still being the same.

| improve this answer | |
    +1. Bravo for this excellent answer. – Dimitris May 29 at 14:12
  • Selon le contexte, je proposerais aussi "assume-toi et vis ta vie". – Adrien Jun 2 at 7:45
  • @Adrien Oui, j'aime bien cette suggestion également, par exemple dans le contexte d'un "Tanguy" ou de quelqu'un qui vit au crochet de quelqu'un d'autre. – Reyedy Jun 2 at 7:51

I am neither native speaker of English nor of French. Here's my two cents if I understood correctly the desired idea in English (at least of the "Get up and live" part; cf. the much more elaborated answer of @Reydey). I would say something like:

"Leve-toi et vis ta vie !"

with a higher intonation.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.