in the phrase 'nous avons acheté' is the 's' sound in 'avons' pronounced? Or is the 's' sound in 'avons' silent? I tried using Google Translate pronunciation but I couldn't quite make the sound difference.

No native speaker. I think that the first "liaison" (i.e. between nous and avons) is obligatory.
The sound z is produced: nuz‿avɔ̃.

The second "liaison" (i.e. between avons et acheté) belongs to the so-called facultative "liaisons". Some natives will make the "liaison", that is, they will produce the sound z as: nuz‿avɔ̃z‿aʃte but I tend to believe most of them will not make this "liaison", at least in colloquial French.

See the recent question:

Do you pronounce the t in ''et un/une'' ?

and the references therein.

| improve this answer | |
    For me, native speaker, the two « liaisons » must be made. The only difference I see is that in « nous avons », there will never be a delay between the two words, and between « avons acheté », it could be a little delay. After the delay, the « liaison » can be (should be?) omitted. In conclusion nous avons without liaison will be weird for a native speaker, but avons acheté will sound OK with or without liaison. – FredericP Jun 1 at 12:57
  • en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaison_(French) does not list the second liaison as obligatory. – Alan Evangelista Jun 3 at 8:35

The second liaison is not obligatory in "Nous avons acheté". The first one is.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.