I'm a beginner in French and I want to learn it only in order to read the contemporary philosophical articles and books in French. As far as possible, I'm not interested in getting acquaintance with the words and phrases used in the greetings, the travels and so on. Is there any app or book which is suitable for this purpose?

My university offered a reading course, focused heavily on grammar and translation, to graduate students who needed to know certain languages. I’m not sure how successful these are though. French may be relatively easier if you know English, since there are a lot of cognates. – Maroon Jun 7 '20 at 3:47
    A web search for reading textbooks french grad students gives a lot of suggestions. Someone else may be able to offer more specific suggestions. – Maroon Jun 7 '20 at 4:02
    There are two skills necessary to read technical literature in French. (1) A rudimentary grasp of French grammar and common words. (2) The technical vocabulary necessary for the field. Any beginning French course will teach you the first; the second is field-specific. For technical vocabulary, a clever trick is to look up the Wikipedia article of the term you want to translate. In the sidebar, there's a link to the corresponding Wikipedia article in several languages, and the link to anglais or French will give you the technical translation. – Peter Shor Jun 7 '20 at 12:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.