Comment rend-on la phrase anglaise

I want to be able to give it away.

en français ? La phrase suivante est-elle correcte ?

Je veux pouvoir le donner.

Welcome to FSE. Your question needs editing. As it stands, it is not very clear what is your problem and it risks to be closed. – Dimitris Jun 8 at 20:19
  • Give away may have several translations: deepl.com/fr/translator#en/fr/give%20away. Can you be more specific giving some context? – Dimitris Jun 8 at 20:22
  • I did some editing myself. I hope it is ok for you. – Dimitris Jun 8 at 20:27
  • Hello J.J and welcome to FSE. Can you please provide us with some more context for this question? The English expression "to give something away" can have different meanings and it would be nice to understand what you are trying to say here. – Reyedy Jun 10 at 13:16

Je voudrais en faire un don

ou

Je voudrais le donner [à quelqu’un]

Le “to be able to” appelle vraisemblablement le conditionnel, dans une forme plus recherchée que “pouvoir le donner” qui ne se rencontre pas en français, et sent très fort la traduction mot à mot :)

| improve this answer | |
  • Merci. As for further clarification. If I am the head of a pharma company and my company discovers the vaccine for Covid. I want to be able to give it away without charging the poor. Of course, I may not be able to do so if my shareholders are hearltess and greedy. – J.J. Jun 12 at 7:29
  • So, the real translation would probably be more shomething like « Je voudrais en faire don [à l’humanité] », ou « Je voudrais pouvoir l’offrir », which implies a totally free to use meaning. – Gaétan RYCKEBOER Jun 12 at 7:45
  • Merci encoure Gaétan – J.J. Jun 12 at 10:46
  • @J.J. If this answer is ok with you, you should select it. – Dimitris Jul 3 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.