I see the words "extrudeur" and "extrudeuse" used to describe very similar equipment, typically both corresponding to "extruder" in English. One of my 3D printer instructions lists the specs as follows:

Type d’extrudeur: Extrudeuse

There must be a nuance although dictionaries have similar definitions for both. What is the difference between "un extrudeur" and "une extrudeuse"?

1 Answer 1


It's a weird thing about French where both -eur and -euse are found for tools, but there is a distinction in their use (although I really wouldn't be able to speculate on the etymological origins!): a word in -eur for an object is generally going to be for something that is more-or-less hand-operated, that is a tool or instrument, but a word in -euse is likely going to be powered, some sort machine. A batteur à oeuf is an eggbeater, but a batteuse (e.g. in moisonneuse-batteuse) is a threshing machine.

For the particular situation you ran into, it's completely impossible to tell what's going on without seeing what I assume is an English original formulation that got mangled in translation (not an uncommon situation!).

  • Now that you mention it, I think I have seen extrudeuse used for bigger-scale, more industrial contexts. Maybe. Jun 13, 2020 at 5:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.