Both of these words mean "since" in English but I am unsure of the rules governing which one to use when. Can someone help please?

• puisque is actually a causality/comparative/ because.... depuis means after/ since. depuis does not imply causality. – aliential Jun 29 at 15:12

Puisque has a cause/effect meaning and it is used when since is a synonym of because:

Since you are in the kitchen, could you bring me a cup of coffee?
Puisque tu es dans la cuisine, pourrais-tu m'apporter une tasse de café ?

Depuis is for the cases where since have a meaning of time, space or when we are speaking about series:

Time:

This company is serving customers since 1892.
Cette société est au service des ses clients depuis 1892.

Space:

You have been bothering me since Paris!
Tu m'ennuies depuis Paris !

Serie:

They are all there, from the first to the last.
Ils sont tous là, depuis le premier jusqu'au dernier.

Mind that this one could also, in a less formal way translate to

Ils sont tous là, du premier au dernier.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you! Good quality answer. – Rich M Jun 27 at 11:44
  • That second example is time, isn't it - more or less the same as depuis le moment qu'on a quitté Paris, but a bit less emphatic. I think space would have to be depuis + lieu, e.g correspondances depuis la gare du nord, trajet depuis Hanoi ... – Rhubarb Jun 28 at 9:14
  • Paris is a location not a time. Although, yes, that might imply that "and so it is a long time" so it is the same as your example. See point 2 there: dictionnaire-academie.fr/article/A9D1606 – β.εηοιτ.βε Jun 28 at 11:02
    Yes Paris is a location, but your example doesn't say depuis Paris, it it says depuis qu'on a quitté Paris, which is a reference to a point in time. I think your translation into English is correct, and the English obviously refers to a time. – Rhubarb Jun 28 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.