What is the equivalent of "Dear Staff" in an email? For instance, a CEO wants to send an email to all the employees to invite them to a meeting. How could he or she start his email?

Chers/chères collègues; Mesdames, Messieurs; Chers/chères employé.e.s; Chers/Chères collaborateurs/collaboratrices

Are any of these forms acceptables?

• Ça me fait penser aux mails que le patron d'Apple envoie à ses salariés. Ça commence par "Team" et c'est signé "Tim". – mouviciel Jul 1 at 17:30

The ones I would avoid:

Mesdames, messieurs

for being too distant,

Chers/chères employé.e.s

because inclusive spelling can be considered to carry a political agenda, and

Cher collègues

because it implies the CEO is a peer the employees (already mentioned by beauchette).

I would probably agree with

Chers collaborateurs, cher collaboratrices

although I would have avoided it a few decades ago.

I guess I'd just recommend to start that mail with :

Bonjour à tous

or

Bonjour à toutes et à tous

| improve this answer | |

All of these forms are acceptable and wouldn't make me raise an eyebrow, but :

• 'Employé' would feel a little weird, especially if some of them are in charge of others.
  • 'Collègues' would be a little weird too because it conveys a thing of equality that you obviously don't have with your employees if you are their CEO.

So I'd go with 'Collaborateurs' because everyone is technically, a 'collaborateur'.

In my opinion, you can use these forms as an equivalent of "Dear Staff":

• Chers/chères collègues
  • Chers/chères associé.e.s
  • Chers/chères collaborateurs/trices

These expressions give a kind of closeness between the CEO and his employees.

In contrast to the terms: employees or even workers.

Because it is still controversial, the inclusive spelling of associé.e.s (or better/worse associé·e·s) might not be acceptable depending on the company. – jlliagre Jun 30 at 22:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.