Searching how to convey in French the meaning of the English idiom the early bird catches the worm I found l'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt. E.g.

The admissions in this college get filled in very early. If you really want to enroll your son here then you should remember that the early bird catches the worm and the late comers get nothing.

Les admissions dans cette université se remplissent très tôt. Si vous voulez vraiment inscrire votre fils ici, vous devez vous rappeler que l'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt et que les retardataires n'obtiennent rien.

Can one use colloquially the idiom l'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt or is it considered outdated?

3 Answers 3

From my point of view, your translation is very correct. The expression is commonly used in French, and I would even say that it is a very popular one.

De mon point de vue, votre traduction est tout à fait correcte. L'expression est couramment utilisée en français, et je dirai même que c'est une expression très populaire.

• Merci ! NB on préfère se tutoyer chez FSE:-)!
    – Dimitris
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:23
  • Ça marche ! (je suis passé à l'anglais pour éviter tout soupçon ;))
    – Maël
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:24
  • Je me suis permis de modifier ta réponse et ajouter la version française de ta réponse qui était déjà bien:-)!
    – Dimitris
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:29
  • Merci ! Je ne sais pas trop s'il faut parler français ou anglais sur ce forum...
    – Maël
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:30
  • On avait récemment une discussion sur ça. See here: french.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/807/…
    – Dimitris
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:31

L'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt is certainly the most pertinent French equivalent to the early bird catches the worm.

It conveys a very similar meaning and tone, even though it is far from a literal translation.

I'm French I confirm this is perfectly fine. The idea behind it is that people waking earlier would have more time to work (and reach success). It was at a time agriculture was predominant and working earlier meant being more productive. Regards.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.