So far I've only come across with the "thank you" meaning of merci. Recently, I saw this phrase:

Merci de vous enregistrer au moins une heure avant de partir.

Which translates to

Please register at least one hour before leaving.

The original has roughly the same meaning as "Veuillez vous enregistrer au moins une heure avant de partir.". When can and I use "Merci" that way?

The word please can be written in more than one way in French, which all have small differences in meaning. It's why you see the word « Merci » used that way.

All the forms in the sentence example you gave:

• Merci de...
  • Prière de...
  • Je vous prie de...
  • Veuillez...

The vouvoiement makes the sentence that way, it's extra-polite. It's a concept that doesn't exist in English I think.

So as I said, in the sentence you could swap the word « Merci » with « Prière ».

Example:

Prière de vous enregistrer au moins une heure avant de partir.

The sentence means the same thing, but the word « Merci » is softer in tone, where in the example I gave it's a more direct way to say it.

| improve this answer | |
    "Thank you for..." is used in English too, with a noun phrase, e.g. Thank you for not dropping litter. It implies an expectation of "doing the right thing", and may also be seen as being slightly less abrupt than "Please..." – Harry Audus Jul 24 at 1:26

Merci de expresses a recommendation [c.f. A.2.a)] whereas veuillez implies an injunction.

Both sentences formulate a request: recommendation/injunction.

Using this would be polite formula is not recommended in the context you present; it is barely acceptable as an introduction of routine requests in application forms and the like. It is otherwise considered as manipulative and inelegant, not polite: you extend thanks to someone before you've even had a reaction to what you just asked (non au merci de…).

Here are more recommendations not to use this formula.

https://www.helloworkplace.fr/merci-de-ne-plus-ecrire-merci-de-dans-vos-mails-et-autres-impolitesses-au-bureau/

https://optimiz.me/2-formues-de-politesses-a-proscrire-de-vos-e-mails/

I don't get why you believe this formula should not be recommended in this context. Merci de vous enregistrer au moins une heure avant (le départ) is definitely an order, not a mild suggestion. – jlliagre Jul 20 at 23:42
    "Il est pratiquement nécessaire que vous fassiez votre enregistrement au moins une heure à l'avance" is very unidiomatic... – jlliagre Jul 21 at 9:10
    @LPH On a déjà eu cette conversation de multiples fois. Pour une raison qui te regarde, tu ne veux pas reconnaître ton manque d'expérience pratique de la langue française. Que tu ne voie pas ce qui cloche avec il est pratiquement nécessaire que vous fassiez votre enregistrement... en est une nouvelle preuve. – jlliagre Jul 21 at 13:40
    @yagmoth555 Oui Merci d'enlever vos chaussures avant d'entrer est parfaitement idiomatique est n'a rien d'inacceptable, de "manipulatif", d'inélégant ou d'impoli. C'est bien d'une directive qu'il s'agit, comme dans la phrase de l'OP. – jlliagre Jul 21 at 13:45
    Je ne partage pas les idées moralisatrices et méprisantes des trois sites en question mais mon commentaire n'avait rien à voir avec eux. Il concernait ta phrase Il est pratiquement nécessaire que vous fassiez votre enregistrement... – jlliagre Jul 21 at 14:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.