One of the lesser used English definitions of kick is

5c: pursuit of an absorbing or obsessive new interest —usually used with on1

Is there a French equivalent? My French is super rusty, and I did poke around with translators, but I'm guessing that "donner un coup" doesn't carry the same connotation.

• Can you provide examples of sentences that would use that kick?
    – jlliagre
    Aug 22 '20 at 9:14
  • Example sentence: "Alice is on another Heavy Metal kick" meaning she's been listening to Heavy Metal music a lot lately, but in a week or two she'll have switched to something else, likely back to her "regular" favorites.
    – aslum
    Aug 25 '20 at 20:14

You can use the word marotte, which points to a sudden and invasive passion for something:

Il s'est mis à la philatélie, et c'est devenu sa marotte, il ne parle plus que de cela.

An equivalent is "être mordu" (mad on, crazy about), also colloquial.

If a complement must be used the preposition is "de".

• Il est mordu de cinéma. (adjective)

• (variant) C'est un mordu de/du cinéma. (nom)

Depending on the context, one could be on a health kick, une mode santé.

To get your kicks is s'amuser and its synonyms.

Moreover, to be hooked on something (including drugs, not so healthy) or idiomatically on a ____ kick is

être accro from accroché

(Familier) Qui se rapporte à une personne qui est passionnée par quelqu’un ou par quelque chose.

That which relates to someone with a passion for someone or something, "getting a kick out of it."

Elles sont toutes accros à ce nouvel acteur.

They are all crazy about this new actor. They're all on a Léo Legrand kick.

Il est complètement accro de ce nouvel album de BD.

He is so into this new comic book. He's really on a comic book kick with this new one.

The noun kif (from the verb kiffer) is slowly moving from suburban to mainstream slang:

Il a un nouveau kif !

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.