I have seen the usage of both "fété" and "fête" for the word "party" in english and I was wondering if there was any difference between the two?

Merci!

Je n'ai jamais lu le mot "fété" (en partant du principe que ce n'est pas le mot "fêté"). Quel est le contexte? Quel pays?
    – Winston
    Sep 18 '20 at 12:29
  • @Exocytosis Je pense que je me suis peut-être confondu. Pardon !
    – Colm
    Sep 18 '20 at 12:34
  • What do you mean? What mistake did you make? The spelling of "fêté" or something else?
    – Winston
    Sep 18 '20 at 12:35
  • @Exocytosis I think I mistook "fêté" to be "fété" instead, like the answer by Dimitris has pointed out
    – Colm
    Sep 18 '20 at 12:37
    Thinking about it, you MAY have read "fété". Young French simplify the language and do not respect all rules at all.
    – Winston
    Sep 18 '20 at 12:45

No native speaker but I think fété does not exist. The corrected form is fête. The corresponding verb is fêter whose past participle is fêté. May be it is the last one that you have seen.

Like Dimitris said "fête" could mean anything like holiday, party, celebration that you could relate to "festival" or "feast" in English, as for "fété", it is the past participle (participe passé) of the verb "fêter" which basically means celebrate or observe e.g: Hier, il a fêté son anniversaire (he celebrated his birthday yesterday) or les Chrétiens fètent Noël (Christians celebrate or observe Christmas).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.