This is a question which has occurred to me after asking this question.

Here is the scenario: There is some fabric which BELONGS TO a jacket and this is the case in A, B and C.


I would like to say “I’m tearing some fabric off of the jacket.” with the idea that the fabric belongs to the jacket being implied.

The translation would be « J’arrache du tissu de la veste ».



“I’m tearing some fabric off of it.” = « J’en arrache du tissu ».



“I’m tearing some off of the jacket.” = « J’en arrache de la veste ».


(1) BUT how would I say “I’m tearing some off of it.” where, by the word “some” I’m talking about the fabric and by the word “it” I’m talking about the jacket to which the fabric belongs?

(2) I have the feeling there is no translation for “I’m tearing some off of it.” because we can’t say « J’en en arrache. ». <— Is this statement correct ?

(3) If (2) is correct then I feel like the best we could do is B or C or I’ll just have to use « J’y en arrache .» to say “I’m tearing off some from there.” where, by the word “there” I’m referring to a location on the jacket. Is this correct?

If the translations in A, B, or C are incorrect please let me know.

Please also note that my french level is beginner therefore please can you keep all explanations as simple as possible. Thank you! 😊

  • 1
    Can you please take into account what I said before? In English, we say: to tear fabric off of it. not: from it. If the English is wrong, it is very difficult to translate it accurately. Anyway, j'arrache du tissus [au/a] is: to tear some fabric off [x]. the DU is SOME Veux-tu du cafe? Do you want some coffee? [My accents are not working right now.]
    – Lambie
    Commented Oct 11, 2020 at 14:40

1 Answer 1


I’m tearing some off of it would theoretically be translated to:

(incorrect:) J'en en arrache.

but this sequence of two joint pronouns (pronoms conjoints) is agrammatical.

Assuming you really don't want to repeat any of the complements, the way to handle this conflict is simply to merge the pronouns in a single instance with what is called an haplology (haplologie), leading to:

J'en arrache.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.