I am writing a French haiku, and would like to know whether the em-dash, or the tiret cadratin, is being used correctly:

La dent de lait : chez

des cerisiers en fleurs et

puis — un vent d’or.

I put the tiret cadratin in there for a dramatic pause, if that is useful information.

• I am not an expert, but based on wikipedia (fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiret#Tiret_long), it does not seem to be one of its usage. – Florian Castelain Oct 15 at 7:41
    Shouldn't it be des cerisiers en fleur? – jlliagre Oct 15 at 9:33
  • @jlliagre Thank you for catching that, but is fleur supposed to be fleurs since the cerisiers are plural? – Renée Oct 16 at 13:10
    Good point. Both the singular and the plural are grammatically possible but since there is just one kind of flowers (only cherry tree flowers), the recommendation is to keep the singular. You might want to ask this as a separate question to give a better visibility to it. – jlliagre Oct 16 at 13:58
    And by the way, if you are a native French (or not), you can use French here. – jlliagre Oct 16 at 14:00

Un vent d'or is part of the sentence. It can't be removed so is not a proposition incise which would have been a use case for a tiret cadratin.

To mark a pause, points de suspensions (ellipsis) are commonly used:

puis… un vent d'or.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.