I am shopping for a bicycle which is available in "vert Anglais" but I'm having a hard time finding out exactly which colors could be considered "vert Anglais". I am also interested in the etymology.

'Vert anglais' means different things depending on the context but quite explicit when talking about cars. I guess if you google images for 'vert anglais cars' you should get a good idea of what the bike should look like – vc 74 Oct 15 '20 at 8:07

You can find your answer here: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vert_anglais

I don't know your fluency in French so I provide below a translation of (some parts of) the lemma (I used Google Translate for convenience).

English green is a trade name covering several shades of green and several pigments and preparations.

Currently, it seems that the English green evokes, as far as automobile paints are concerned, the British Racing Green of old racing cars; for fine arts and decoration (...)

“English green is the color green which exists in commerce under the greatest number of varieties; it is a complex product formed from arsenate of copper (Scheele's green) and several white materials such as sulphate of baryte and sulphate of lime. (...) The more beautiful has an apple-green tint, and the lower quality is leaf-dead. "

• Color chemistry, 18552.

The best quality shade and composition are very similar to Veronese green.

The name English green is attested, as a commercial color, in the Panckoucke Encyclopedia in 1784, shortly after Scheele's invention, in 1775. English green is classified in light greens. According to another source, English green is a "mixture of lead chromate and Prussian blue with varying proportion of baryte sulfate" and is also found in the mid-19th century as Cinnabar vert, while sometimes the same name designates Scheele's green or another composition with the latter called mineral green. Milory green is also sometimes called English green, the recipe of which is kept secret.

The name English green is quickly and constantly used in fashion, meaning a green that is sometimes light and often dark. This green is made by mixing blue and yellow pigments.

The toxicity of English green made it first forbidden, in France, in the preparation of candies, pastilles, dragees and liqueurs, before having it replaced, in the color charts of color merchants, by mixtures of other pigments, forming the desired shades of green. On the other hand, we find, for horticulture, the so-called English green preparations used as a pesticide.

In the mid-nineteenth century, the chemist Leclaire offered artists two English greens: light English green and dark English green, both zinc-based11. Before the end of the century, the name English green no longer referred to a pigment or a well-defined shade. From 1876 to 1930 Lefranc sold six English green colors.

(...)

See also here: https://www.google.com/search?q=vert+anglais&rlz=1C1DIMA_enFR786FR786&sxsrf=ALeKk011K9EDZzo9aRlAkQgbCLgHlGzMRw:1602747601696&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvrNqLjLbsAhXk6OAKHakUDJ4Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1536&bih=722

HTH:-)!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.