I'm learning french and I have notice that lot's of people say "Ach-te" instead of "Ach-e-te" when it comes to the verb "Acheter".

Try to writeQue puis-je acheter and listen. https://ttsmp3.com/

But google translate says "Ach-te". One french teacher at Udemy from the courses "3 Minutes French" says "Ach-te"

So what is correct? Is it dialect?

• I guess this happens with many languages: in casual (and faster) speech: not all syllabs are always articulated. The correct, or let's say best articulated way, is "Ach-e-té". – Laurent S. Nov 19 at 22:07

E caduc/schwa realization is a regional and individual choice.

In careful speech and poetry this E is generally pronounced. It is also the case by people with the southern French accent.

In all other contexts, it is most often skipped.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok. So "ach-te" is more common by these dialects of france? Is there any special with southern france when it comes to dialect? – Daniel Mårtensson Nov 20 at 13:56
    The other way round People having a southern French accent (accent du midi) would more likely pronounce three syllables "a-che-té" instead of two syllables "ach-tè" pronounced elsewhere. These variants are not really referred to as dialects but just as French spoken with various accent. – jlliagre Nov 20 at 14:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.