How to correctly communicate or express these timely sayings in French? "Do something while the conditions are right" or "Seize the opportunity when it presents itself"

Is this acceptable? Faites-le tant que vous le pouvez

For those that aren't into metal-working, this phrase (and the equivalent French phrase below) relates to welding two pieces of iron using a hammer and anvil. Hammer-welding requires working with iron at a critical temperature - it must be hot enough to be workable but not so hot that it bends under its own weight. Not hot enough and you get a "cold weld" that may have a slight surface bonding but which will fail under any load. Too hot and...well, let's just say that being spattered with semi-molten iron does not improve one's day. And you get one strike with the hammer - no second chances. Nov 30 '20 at 15:13
  • I know it's not French, but would I be right to assume that 'Carpe Diem' would be recognised by French speakers?
    – JeffUK
    Dec 1 '20 at 11:35
  • @BobJarvis-ReinstateMonica No worries, metalworking is within all of us. Very interesting btw. //JeffUK, see this. Dec 1 '20 at 20:59
  • @JeffUK - well, a lot of English speakers recognize "carpe diem" because knowledge of bits of Latin is pretty common, so I would expect that French speakers would as well. Dec 1 '20 at 23:12

The very same metaphor exists in French since at least the 14th century and is still in common usage:

Il faut battre le fer tant qu'il est chaud.

The preposition might be tandis, quand, pendant, or tant.

Pendant was most common in the 20th century but tant seems to take a small lead in recent years.

enter image description here

Your attempt Faites-le tant que vous le pouvez doesn't convey the same meaning. It's more like "Do it as long as you are able to do it."

You might say instead:

Faire quelque chose lorsque les conditions s'y prêtent.

Profiter d'une / saisir une occasion2 quand elle se présente.

1 Instead of occasion, the word opportunité is often used to translate "opportunity" but is sometimes considered an anglicism even while this meaning already existed in French (See the OQLF).

The most idiomatic version of this expression is "battre le fer pendant qu'il est chaud". That's how I have always heard it or used it myself in France.
    – Evargalo
    Nov 30 '20 at 18:00
  • @Evargalo The preposition is indeed not fixed in the idiom but tant, pendant and quand are all definitely equally idiomatic while tandis is behind.
    – jlliagre
    Nov 30 '20 at 20:09
  • And the same metaphor exists in German, too. Although I had hoped for something more romantic from the French, like "Kiss the girl while the night is young" or so ;-). But then it's probably just that we are watching Mrs. Maisel ... Dec 1 '20 at 14:50
  • @Peter-ReinstateMonica This metaphor exists in Italian, Spanish, Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, Arabic, Turkish, Hebrew, Chinese... Perhaps would it be shorter to list the languages that do not use it ;-)
    – jlliagre
    Dec 1 '20 at 16:23

The dictionary Le Petit Robert 2006 gives a French idiom (under the entry "battre") that corresponds exactly with the English "strike the iron while it's hot":

Battre le fer pendant qu'il est chaud: profiter sans tarder d'une situation propice.

In other words: taking advantage of a favourable situation without delay.

Also, "l'occasion fait le larron" is what is as close as "Do something while the conditions are right" I can think of. The meaning is to seize opportunity while it stands

That expression does not mean what you probably think it means; it is more specific since larron means thief. See e.g. linternaute.fr.
    – Tsundoku
    Dec 1 '20 at 11:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.