y=Cx

where C is a constant to be determined.

"where C is a constant to be determined" should be conveyed by

"où C est une constante à déterminer"

or

"où C est une constante à être déterminée"

? Are the two turns equivalent?

In general, the English turn "to be + past infinitive" is always conveyed by "à + infinitive" (or "à + past infinitive"), or are they any exceptions?

The English turn "to be + past infinitive" is not always conveyed by "à + infinitive" (or "à + past infinitive"); instead the verb "devoir" or "falloir" is used. This is so when this turn conveys the notion of obligation.

• Those toys are to be sold soon, the necessity of it has been made clear to you.
  1. Ces jouets doivent être vendus prochainement, la nécessité vous en a été expliquée clairement.
  2. Il faut que ces jouets soient vendus prochainement,…

In this context "à vendre" is not right. This form introduces a confusion between "sont mis à la vente" and "doivent être vendus".

To express the mere happening of something planned you use the turn "aller + infinitive".

• This type of cultivation is to be ended in the near future.
    Ce type de culture va être abandonné dans le proche avenir.

One is more likely to use "à + infinitive" for negative uses of the form.

• This recommendation is not to be taken lightly.
    Cette recommandation n'est pas à prendre à la légère.

However, the more idiomatic forms of translation use the verbs "devoir" and "falloir".

• This meat is to be eaten very soon, otherwise it won't be any good.
  • Il faut manger cette viande très bientôt, autrement elle ne sera plus bonne.

There is an alternative where the idiomatic turn "c'est" (gallicisme) makes the turn acceptable.

• This vegetable is to be eaten raw.
  • C'est un légume à manger cru.
    or, more current      Ce légume se mange cru.

"où C est une constante à déterminer" is the correct translation. In general yes, when you say 'to be + past participle' in English in passive voice, the translation will be 'à + infinitif' in French:

• This work is to be done. Ce travail est à faire.
  • This car is to be repaired. Cette voiture est à réparer.
  • This is to be corrected. C'est à corriger.
  • These apples are to be eaten. Ces pommes sont à manger

I cannot think of an exception in French, but I can think of some sentences in French that would not be translated with 'to be + past participle':

• We have apples to eat. Nous avons des pommes à manger

The difference is that this example is written using active voice ('We/Nous' is the subject).

• Ces pommes sont à manger (...au plus vite par exemple) => These apples are to be eaten.
    – Laurent S.
    Dec 8 '20 at 12:22
  • Indeed, in that case the passive voice is used. I should have used that example as well as a comparison, I'm adding it.
    – Sacha
    Dec 8 '20 at 12:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.