I am using Babbel and I see some sentences where it uses 'au' to mean to and some where it uses 'a' to mean to.

for example :

From February to April is 'de février à avril' - Why is it not 'au' Avril ?

and

From 15 April to 20th April is 'du 15 avril au 20 avril' - Why is it not 'à' 20

I am missing something simple I can't see here - Masculin/Feminine stuff I just need to 'learn' or something else?

As a relative newcomer to the language i find these grammatical things v v confusing with multiple words meaning the same thing but based on either subject or pronoun or verb etc.

But I will persevere and learn. Merci :)

We almost never use an article in front of a month name. Rares exceptions are expressions where a month in particular is compared to the same month in general, e.g.:

Le mois de novembre 2020 a été le novembre le plus chaud jamais enregistré dans le monde. La Dépêche

Thus we say: De janvier à avril.

Even if an article would be needed, that would be à l'avril not au avril so this phrase is technically possible:

Du janvier de l'année précédente à l'avril de l'année suivante.

although we would probably use:

Du mois de janvier... ...au mois d'avril...

On the other hand, for dates, we use an article, e.g. le premier janvier, le 14 juillet so the phrase is indeed:

Du 15 avril au 20 avril or better du 15 au 20 avril.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.