What's the name for the string attached to a zipper to help close or open a bag?

enter image description here

  • 1
    For reference and dictionary consultation, in English I would call that a "pull", "string", "tab", or "pull tab" depending on whether it's indeed just a string/loop or a flat grippable piece of metal or plastic or both.
    – Luke Sawczak
    Commented Jan 31, 2021 at 5:45
  • @LukeSawczak thanks, I was indeed wondering what the name English is. Commented Jan 31, 2021 at 6:04

2 Answers 2


The image shows a string attached directly to the slider of the zipper and not to its pull tab, which is seemingly missing. The pull tab is a tirette; the string is used as a replacement for it in the image:

Cordon(/sangle/languette) servant de tirette.

Or the string is "connected" to the pull tab by its nature:

Cordon(/sangle/languette) de [of the] tirette.

If the string was attached to the pull tab per se, then it's like an extension:

Rallonge à/de tirette.

Metonymic use might simply be tirette; some may reference its material (...en corde, en tissu).

In the end the tirette will go a long way...

  • Great suggestions, thanks! Commented Jan 31, 2021 at 3:32
  • @FranckDernoncourt Welcome! Maybe someone else finds something which is more grounded in experience, or maybe along the lines of "grab" or "helper" in French something. Guess we'll see. Commented Jan 31, 2021 at 3:38

Another suggestion based on Zéhontée Bonteuse's great answer:

Rallonge à/de tirette en forme de boucle.

It is longer but help communicate the shape of the rallonge.

  • Imagine the first-aid kit is in there: "ouvre le sac! Tire sur la rallonge de tirette en forme de boucle!" 🤔 Commented Jan 31, 2021 at 11:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.