Here is a sentence from the recording of Leçon 27 of Le nouveau taxi (B1). This is the explanation from a psychologist of why some people are addicted to their jobs:

C'est une grosse recherche en général de reconnaissance professionnelle. Souvent les gens me disent « Oh oui, mais mon employeur est très exigeant ». Et puis tout le côté des fois accrochage qu'on peut avoir effectivement au travail crée du stress chez... chez les gens... d'où ils ont du mal effectivement à déconnecter hein sur quelques jours seulement de vacances si vous voulez.

I see that the subject of this sentence is Tout le côté des fois accrochage. But here fois and accrochage are both nouns. Why can one put these two nouns consecutively and what does it mean exactly?

This sentence doesn't make sense! It seems to me that it comes from an automatic translator. – Toto Feb 14 at 14:33
    Not only these nouns but other parts of the sentence are also garbage French. That might be a failed voice recognition transcript. – jlliagre Feb 14 at 15:03
    In your book, who is saying this and are there any indications as to where this person is from? – baie d'euzellecité Feb 14 at 18:45
    @ZéhontéeBonteuse I have added the context. Indeed, this is the transcription given in the back of the book. – Colescu Feb 15 at 8:11
    @Colescu With the full text, that makes more sense. You initially stripped off the few parts that would have make clear this was a verbatim transcription of what was said instead of well-constructed sentences. – jlliagre Feb 15 at 15:44

In my region (Québec, Canada), des fois means parfois (sometimes) and this has the function of an adverb. Whether it's "sometimes the accrochage" or "sometimes we have that" doesn't make much of a difference in terms of meaning here. The sentence is about something causing stress in people. That something is "all that aspect of sometimes having an addiction1 that we may have from work". In either languages that phrasing is a mouthful and imprecise. Indeed accrochage (from the verb to hook) also refers people having an argument as well as to a small car accident i.e. fender-bender etc. The sentence doesn't sound very universal to me, seems more of the spoken type, with the speaker refusing to walk back the weird garden path they're leading us on. I'm surprised to find this in a book geared for learners.

1 I only know we're talking about addiction (to work, workaholic) because of an edit by OP. I'm not used to having the noun accrochage refer to addiction even though accro refers to an addict. This is all because the title of the work refers to taxi, accrochage has multiple meanings and context makes a difference.

Oui, il s'agit peut-être d'une transcription des propos un peu décousus de quequ'un de très stressé et qui a besoin de vacances pour mettre de l'ordre dans tout ça... – jlliagre Feb 15 at 0:39
    Oui, tout passe mieux quand on a compris qu'il s'agit de français parlé "brut de fonderie" ! – jlliagre Feb 15 at 13:57
    Hahaha straight pipe ! – baie d'euzellecité Feb 15 at 18:14
  • Thanks for your answer. Just to be sure, am I right in thinking that this sentence is not strictly grammatical? – Colescu Feb 16 at 5:19
  • Welcome. It is grammatical but it's speech which is not very well phrased and I've explored in a follow-up question that choosing accrochage to refer to addiction was not typical. That des fois is an adverb, so there's nothing which would make it ungrammatical in my opinion. It feels like the person is being interviewed or something. If you were writing up a text you wouldn't phrase it like that. That exact bit tout le côté des fois accrochage works but yeah, I would think parfois la dépendance au travail devient une source de stress is much clearer. @Colescu – baie d'euzellecité Feb 16 at 6:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.