I have come across the following sentence and cannot quite make out a satisfying translation for how 'lisser' is used here. The dictionary says 'to smooth, to even out' but I do not think that this fits here.

Elle ajoute aussi que la fiabilité des informations est mise en danger par les applications qui lissent arbitrairement le Nutri-Score.

The meaning is the one you found in a dictionary.

The applications referred to are criticized because they smooth (i.e. make less relevant) the Nutri-Score by weighting it with other metrics or whatever algorithm.

enter image description here

Source: Mathilde Touvier Magazine de l'Inserm - n° 44

• So, is it meant in a literal sense in this case, i.e. that the score is mathematically smoothed out? Or is it metaphorical? Feb 21 at 16:32
    It might be either but lissent à leur façon is more a metaphor for they blur the asperities (the bad Nutri-Score values) their own way, they fiddle with these numbers.
    – jlliagre
    Feb 21 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.