Is it correct to make two liaisons in a row? For example:

trois états indépendants

pas assez utile (given that the optional liaison after pas is made)

Haven't heard such liaisons but neither have I come across such examples under liaisons interdites.

BDL has examples that would imply that it is possible in at least some situations. That’s also what I would expect, although I’m having trouble thinking of a set of examples diverse enough that I can extrapolate more exact rules from it. – Maroon Mar 1 at 7:41
  • Thanks for the reference. I've got my answer. – Alpha Mar 2 at 23:24

It can occur, and I am not aware of any special status for this situation compared to considering the liaisons independently. An example is with the preverbal pronoun en as in On vous en a parlé.

Liaisons after plural nouns are usually optional if not forbidden, but in certain fixed names such as “États-Unis”, liaison almost always occurs. If you have “les États-Unis“, that makes two liaisons in a row. Other examples can be found in this paper: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/200783293.pdf

• I hear “les États-Unis" quite a lot. With the double liaison, that is. Appreciate your help. – Alpha Mar 2 at 23:27
    États-Unis est aussi un mot composé et la liaison s'effectue aussi là la plupart du temps... – baie d'euzellecité Mar 3 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.