I am trying to translate from English to French different researcher positions:

  • Research scientist = Chercheur.
  • Senior research scientist = Chercheur senior.
  • Principal scientist = Chercheur principal.
  • Staff research scientist = ?

What's the translation of “staff research scientist" in French?

See Usage of staff as a seniority level (“staff engineer”) and meaning of “staff” in the title “senior staff software engineer” for the use of staff in English.

My research:

  1. Google Translate and Linguee did not help.
  • 2
    Déjà que le terme n'est pas très standardisé en anglais, je doute qu'il y ait une traduction non ambigüe. Je n'ai jamais vu « principal » utilisé dans ce sens en français non plus, alors que principal en anglais est un peu plus courant. Le GDT a une fiche qui propose « principal » comme traduction de « senior »… – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Mar 23 at 19:14
  • @Gilles'SOnousesthostile' thanks, in some places they have principal, senior and staff scientists, so I was interested in having some French terms that could distinguish these two positions. Senior, principal and staff are very common in the Bay Area, California at least. – Franck Dernoncourt Mar 23 at 20:25
  • 2
    I've asked about the English usage on English Usage. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Mar 23 at 22:33
  • 1
    @Gilles'SOnousesthostile' Thanks very much, great question! – Franck Dernoncourt Mar 23 at 22:35

I would translate it as

membre de la recherche scientifique


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.