I have stumbled across a phrase: "champion du monde de ..." I am a bit confused about the choice of articles.

The first, I suppose, means "champion of the world ..." and since in French we need articles almost everywhere, I am fine with it. But then following the same logic I would expect "du" instead of "de" for the second part like in "champion du monde du basket". Why do we actually need to skip a definite article here and simply put "de"?

Thank you!

• "in French we need articles almost everywhere". Well there are some instances where English put an article and French does not : "je suis photographe" vs "I'm a photographer"
    – XouDo
    Mar 30 at 12:43

In "champion du monde de basket", "Le monde" is definite (du = de le) whereas "basket" is a not an explicit thing but a general concept, a domain and is therefore indefinite.

The same rule applies frequently. For instance you would say "diplôme d'ingénieur" (engineering degree) and not "diplôme de l'ingénieur".

• Thank you for the answer! May I also ask please why it is correct to say "faire du basket" even though "basket" here is also a general concept (correct me please if I am wrong). I know that some verbs may require "de" but I am not sure that verbs ca require "du".
    – CHILLQQ
    Mar 25 at 13:24
  • I think this case is different. In the first case, "De" prefixes the domain (you can ask "De quoi est-il champion du Monde?). In the second case, "Faire de" is a specific form or the "Faire" verb which means to practice or sport or activity.
    – vc 74
    Mar 25 at 13:58
  • Monde isn't a "nom propre" in this expression so I believe you should use champion du monde. On the other hand, Le Monde is a newspaper...
    – jlliagre
    Mar 25 at 15:14
    @jlliagre Thanks, fixed
    – vc 74
    Mar 25 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.