What is the correct translation of "is only suitable for" in French?

Can it be: est convient uniquement pour

? I found that the verb convient means fit, such as fit some body or an agreement. But seulement means only in english, but according to my lexicon, uniquement means only too.

So what is the most correct way to say is only suitable for in french?

Some context will be of help:-)! Can you write down the whole sentence in English ? – Dimitris Mar 31 at 13:09
  • The problem is that these techniques are only suitable for - Le probleme est que ces techniques sont convient uniquement pour – MrYui Mar 31 at 13:11
    For whom or for what these techniques are suitable for can really make a difference indeed, consider for instance these examples. – escarlate adamantine Mar 31 at 18:26
  • to only be suitable for = ne convenir qu'/que... – Lambie Apr 1 at 14:29

You should provide some context; even better the whole sentence that you try to convey from English in French. See

https://www.linguee.fr/anglais-francais/traduction/only+suitable+for.html

For instance:

The problem is that these techniques are only suitable for a qualitative description.

Le problème est que ces techniques ne conviennent que pour une description qualitative.

Ne...que (no negation!), uniquement and seulement can be interchangeably used in most cases. But for conveying if only/not only one must use seulement.

Je n'aime que la viande/J'aime seulement la viande/J'aime uniquement la viande.

both convey

I only like meat

But

Si seulement j'avais mon portable!

conveys

If only I had my mobile!

and

Non seulement elle est arrivée en retard, mais elle voulait aussi parler en premier.

conveys

Not only did she arrive late, she also wanted to speak first.

So in your case, I would say that the turns

Le problème est que ces techniques ne conviennent que...

Le problème est que ces techniques sont seulement/uniquement adaptées à...

and so on, are equivalent. Uniquement appears to my not native ears stronger and more formal though.

• Many sentences translate "only suitable for" to "Uniquement pour", "seulement", "convient uniquement pour", "ne conviennent qu'aux". That's confusing. – MrYui Mar 31 at 13:14
  • Why "ne conviennent que" ? That means "Not agree to" ? – MrYui Mar 31 at 13:16
  • if only = sulement? Not only = uniqument? – MrYui Mar 31 at 13:25
  • So seulement and uniquement means the same thing? But there must be a difference between them? – MrYui Mar 31 at 13:26
  • @DanielMårtensson See my updated answer. I hope it is clear now. – Dimitris Mar 31 at 13:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.