In English, and all the rest of the Germanic languages, we say:

I called them for to tell them

But in romance languages, we can say:

Je leur télephone pour dire leur

Translated word by word, it will be come

I them phone for tell them

Is this a correct way to "thinking in french". Anoter example.

If I have broken my leg, then I say.

I have hurt my leg

The structure for the other Germanic languages are the same.

But in romance languages, it's:

Je me suis cassé ma jambe

Translated word by word:

I myself is broken my leg

Is this the correct way of thinking in french? For example, If I want to say "I'm going to your house" in french, then I would say

I your is walking to house yours?

Or can it be:

I your is walking to your house?

Or:

I is your walking to your house?

So what's the correct way to use "I/You/We" followed by another noun as a person?

No expertise other than with the French language may be required to answer. You can take a look at word order here. You cannot speak French by translating on the fly a pattern made out of English language labels representing French language word order so I don't understand what you expect to gain here? How is that supposed to provide you or anywone with any insight into the language or to help you improve phrasing and wording in French? I can't even guess what French sentence you see in I your is walking to house yours. – escarlate adamantine Apr 5 at 18:34
  • In German, isn't the word order I have my leg hurt? Or maybe I have of me the leg hurt? The word order of German and English differs quite a bit. I think your premise is incorrect. – Peter Shor Apr 5 at 18:57
  • @AmandeAdorable They all was just examples if I translate word by word. The last sentences was just examples for questions about how french sentences are built up. "I he went to his house - Je lui allé chez lui". – Daniel Mårtensson Apr 5 at 19:19
    You should first make sure your "French" sentences are correct which is far from being the case. Je leur télephone pour dire leur is broken, Je me suis cassé ma jambe is questionable and I have no idea about what sentence you expect behind I your is walking to house yours. – jlliagre Apr 5 at 20:11
    and please, capitalize language names in English. – jlliagre Apr 5 at 20:12

Hi Daniel :) as a French instructor, I really encourage you to NOT use a translation process when you're learning or speaking French; try to work within the language... The structure in French is SVC: Sujet + Verbe + Complément. Once you have that in your French box, you can then build the sentences you want/need.

A little correction: you would say Je me suis cassé la jambe. You already talk about yourself with the reflexive verb (verbe pronominal) so you don't need to add the possessif. ;-)

What did you mean in your last question?

• Thank you. I mean if I want to tell another e.g person something, I say "I + him" e.g. "Je lui...". Is it always like this? "I told him" becaome "Je lui dire" and not "Je dire lui"? – Daniel Mårtensson Apr 6 at 21:10
    @DanielMårtensson Je lui ai dit. This is dire quelque chose à quelqu'un, the preposition à is used to introduce the indirect object in this case, which can be replaced with lui before the main verb here. – escarlate adamantine Apr 6 at 23:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.