Consider the following (Correct me if I'm wrong in either of the two examples):

Ce costume-là est en promotion mais pas ce costume-ci.

which translates to - "That suit is on sale but not this suit."

Ce costume n'est pas à sa taille.

which translates to - "This suit isn't his size."

So when do we use "-là"(or "ci") at the end of nouns?

You can translate this thing to cette chose-ci and that thing to cette chose-là. In English, every time you use this or that, you have to choose one of them. But French has a third option, which is say cette chose and leave out ci or ; this is done when the choice of this or that is either obvious or irrelevant. – Peter Shor Apr 16 at 14:16
  • Some British English dialects use the emphatic forms "this here" and "that there". E.g. "I'd like to buy that there suit. This here one doesn't fit." – Harry Audus Apr 26 at 7:12

You can append -là or more rarely -ci to a noun to emphasize the fact you are talking about it precisely, as opposite to other ones:

1. Ce costume n'est pas à sa taille. : This suit doesn't fit him.

2. Ce costume-là n'est pas à sa taille. : That one (suit) doesn't fit him (but other ones possibly do).

See also: Celui-ci / Celui-là / Ceci what's the difference between them?

• So even if we removed là from the second sentence it'll remain grammatically correct? – Übermensch Apr 16 at 11:59
  • Sure, removing "-là" makes it identical to the first one. – jlliagre Apr 16 at 12:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.