I learned a few days ago that "j" is a fairly new letter. I looked up some samples of antique French books (pre-1633) and found a lot of words like (Saint)"Iaques", "ie", "iamais", "iambon", "iamais", "Ieanne"(d'arc), "iour", "iouer", "iolis".

A Google literal search (word literal in quotes) shows a whole bunch of text that uses "i" where I expect "j" to be. For example:

ESSAIS DE MONTAIGNE SUIVIS DE SA CORRESPONDANCE

or

A sample from Clelie, histoire romaine. Par Mr de Scudery, gouuerneur de Nostre ..., Volume 8

or

1621 Ieanne D'Arc

I tried to find a text on the evolution of the French language to try to find out when this change occurred and whether it still sounded like /ʒ/ or if there was some kind of dialects using the traditional /j/ pronunciations (like y in "yes") at some point, but I could not find any mention of this change online.

Does anybody know how these words sounded back then, did they still use /ʒ/ or was it /j/? And was it always /ʒ/ or was there a time when French used /j/ or /h/ instead?

• Très intéressant, notons aussi l'absence de distinction u/v, écrit U en milieu du mot : auez pour avez, souuenir pour souvenir. Et V en début de mot : vn (un), vous. – XouDo May 10 at 14:03

The change in spelling from i to j was not connected to any immediate change in pronunciation. Words like iamais, iambon, iour were already pronounced with /ʒ/ at that point, according to the Wikipedia article "Phonological history of French" (not really a reliable source, but it agrees with what I remember reading elsewhere about this point).

The Old French ancestors of such words most likely contained an affricate /dʒ/, like the j in English jump, rather than the fricative /ʒ/, although I think there is a bit of uncertainty about this.

I don't think that /j/ was used at any time during the period in which we call the language "French". Ultimately, some cases of "j" do go back to /j/ in Latin, such as in jus from Latin ius /juːs/, although others go back to g as in jambe from Latin gamba or z as in jaloux from Latin zelosus.

The sound that is now /ʒ/ was never pronounced like /h/ in French. The pronunciation of Spanish j as a voiceless fricative /x/, /χ/ or /h/ is a further development from a series of sound changes from /ʒ/ to /ʃ/ to /x/.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.