My native language is Korean. For me, the French R is too hard to pronounce.

It seems the only uvular consonants that I can easily pronounce are stops, e.g. [q], [ɢ], and [ɴ]. Yet French R is not a stop.

For [ʁ], it's quite hard to place my tongue to make this approximant. It doesn't make a complete oral cavity like a stop, yet it constricts the airflow unlike a vowel. I can't easily match this intermediacy.

For [ʀ], I seem to be impossible to make this trill. Whenever I try to pronounce this, epiglottal [ʢ] is made instead.

Yet for strange reasons, it's quite easy to pronounce pharyngeal consonants. So I wonder if a native French would understand my pronunciation if I pronounced the French R as [ʕ]. Would they?

Do you have an example of language where this epiglottal is used? Or even a sound sample? Is it that one [fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/… ? – XouDo May 18 at 7:41
  • @XouDo Err... Link is broken? – Dannyu NDos May 18 at 8:12
  • this one should work – XouDo May 18 at 8:15
    @XouDo [ʕ] and [ʢ] are different consonants. There are few languages that has [ʢ], but according to Wikipedia, it is used in Iraqi Arabic. – Dannyu NDos May 18 at 9:01
  • You are refering to [ʢ] also in your question. Anyway, is there a langage using that [ʕ] consonant ? – XouDo May 18 at 9:06

[ʢ] (wikipedia) somewhat sounds like an R to my ears. You will certainly be understood, especially if the R is the only phoneme with a specific pronunciation of yours. As Pas un clue commented, [ʕ] (wikipedia) is slightly worse but still good enough as a substitute.

The letter R is likely the one with the widest range of realizations in French (including no phoneme at all). It has significantly evolved with time and there are still some regional variants too.

This Wikipedia page has the consonant from the question (ʕ). Though ʢ is closer to a French R than ʕ, the latter is still close enough to sound like it should be an R and nothing else when used in French. – Pas un clue May 18 at 11:54
  • @Pasunclue Tout à fait d'accord. – jlliagre May 18 at 12:30

If you can manage (though that seems unlikely to me if the uvular fricative gives you that much trouble) an alveolar thrill, it would also be recognized as a "r"-sound. Rhotic consonants are fairly plastic.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.