There’s seems to be a type of sentence, such as

Au sein de ce flux perpétuel, il y en a des forces «actives»

where ”en” is used directly before its reference (”des forces «actives»”): what is the rôle of this seemingly pleonastic ”en”? Is it stylistic or does it make a difference in sense compared to leaving it out? When to use it?

We are missing a bit of context here, but as I understand, It is a way to insist there are some forces "actives", not just any type of force.

I suppose several types of forces were mentioned earlier in the text/speech, then "active" ones and it's a way to insist on those latter ones being present in this flux perpétuel.

One could have also said :

• (...), il y bien des forces "actives" .
  • (...), il y a effectivement des forces "actives".

I must say it's a "spoken style" sentence, and depending on the intonation of speaker, it could also imply there are a lot of active forces.

Compared to the original sentence, a non-pleonastic variant looks like a plain boring description to me (physics school book's style) :

Au sein de ce flux perpétuel, il y a des forces "actives".

• Interesting! That fits the informal context (that I should have included in the question), since it came from a user’s book review on Amazon. It makes a lot of sense to think of the ”en” as adding ”insistance”!
    – Urdatorn
    May 21 at 8:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.