What are some good resources to learn how to read French for those who already have a solid command on speaking it?

This is somewhat the converse of my question: "Drilling tools for active mastery?"

• I thought you said you were not a fluent speaker. The obvious answer is to read newspapers, magazines and books. – Lambie Jun 9 at 21:31

I have never been in that situation, but here's what I would try:

• Watch french speaking (or dubbed) videos/films/series with french subtitles activated. This way, when you hear a sentence, you'll get used to seeing it written.

• Read books using a writing style close to spoken french, allowing you to make easy connection with the oral. (Litterature would be somewhat challenging coming from a spoken-only french background). News or magazine articles with a casual writing style could do the job too (avoid Le monde or other "serious" papers)

• +1 for your 2nd suggestion. – Geremia Jun 10 at 21:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.