What would be the words in the formation process of the neologism "phrasibuler" ?

I found this neological verb in this sentence by Céline (Bagatelles pour un massacre, 1937):

la critique, évidemment, donne à fond (elle n'existe que dans ce but, pour cet office) insiste, encense, pontifie, acclame, proclame... Phrasibule d'or toutes ces vessies.

I can tell, for sure, that one of the words in the formation process of "phrasibuler" is "phrase", but in order to understand the stylistical effect intended by the author, I wonder what would be the other word, that resonates with "ibule".

• phrase + fabuler peut faire phrasibuler. It is not straightforward. To make it pronounceable, it could be that. – Lambie Jun 24 at 19:39

As a native French speaker who hadn't read this word before, I intuitively give it the meaning “to make sentences that are somewhat pompous and are not as interesting or important as their authors believe”.

-(i)buler is not a common or productive suffix. I'm not counting -i- as part of the suffix because it's a natural faux-Latin back-formation from phrase: many Latin roots have a weak e/i ending that becomes i when there's a following consonant (such as in the suffix -(i)ble indicating possibility) but is omitted altogether when it's at the end of the root. The only suffix that's truly recognizable here is -er, which is a generic verb suffix. In other words where it occurs, the -bul- part is part of the root ((af)fabuler < Lat. fabula, déambuler < Lat. ambulare, tabuler < Lat. tabula are the only common verbs with a root ending like this).

None of these words are close enough to make phrasibuler appear as a compound of phrase and another word. The word does however vaguely remind me of volubile (loquacious). So someone who phrasibule probably talks a lot, but what they say may be uninteresting or garbled. I'm also reminded of patibulaire, an adjective which means that a person looks like a criminal, so the words of someone who phrasibule are probably to be condemned.

I'm also reminded of a later nonsense word zibule¹. (By humorists Pierre Dac and Francis Blanche in the 1960s, part of a joke about cintre à zibule. Cintre is a clothes hanger. “À zibule” can either be parsed as Zibule being the inventor of the hanger — Zibule's clothes hanger — or zibule being an accessory of the hanger — originally the hook part, but it can refer to the horizontal bar among younger generation.). I don't know why the word was chosen, but it's an example of the sonority -ibule working well for a nonsense word.

Making a verb more complex than it should be, with a pejorative result, is a rare but not isolated phenomenon in French. I'm reminded of the suffix -coter which can indicate that something is more complex than it should be, found naturally in tricoter (knitting, with a common figurative meaning of constructing something complex, often in a pejorative way) and in deliberate coinages such as emberlificoter and tarabiscoté.

• Wow ! Merci infiniment pour votre réponse ! – ovide Jun 28 at 15:47

The only verb in -ibuler I know is démantibuler.

Otherwise, there are not that much words with the -ibule ending:

mandibule
vestibule
fibule (a rare word, but a fibule can be made of gold)

In phrasibuler, after phrase, we also hear bulle.

Within my household, we have a verb opposite to démantibuler: REMANTIBULER. Though sometimes quite challenging, it can however also be very rewarding to remantibuler something ;-) – Pas un clue Jun 18 at 13:02
    Dans phrasibuler, on entend aussi buller (Familier : ne rien faire), et ce n'est peut-être pas un hasard! – XouDo Jun 24 at 9:20
    @XouDo J'y ai pensé mais ce sens serait un anachronisme ici. – jlliagre Jun 24 at 9:51
  • Ah ok, comme il n'était nulle part indiqué de quand datait l'ouvrage... mais j'aurais du me douter que c'était du Céline. – XouDo Jun 24 at 11:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.