In words like payer /peje/, pied /pje/, œil /œj/, paille /paj/, if I were to replace the /j/ with /i/ so these words become /peie/, /pie/, /œi/ and /pai, would there be any differences in pronunciation because I can't hear them at all. To me, /j/ sound just like /i/ except in positions like fille /fij/ where /j/ can't be replaced by /i/ because the /j/ in fille is made differently than the /j/ in /peje/.

So two questions:

1. Can /j/ be replaced by /i/?

2. Why is it that in fille /fij/ the /j/ kind of sounds like a downard glide (something like the /j/ sound from the english word 'yuck') while in all the other words I mentioned, it just sounds like /i/?

Two words that differ in this sound are pays /pɛ.i/ and veille /vɛj/, You might try listening to pronunciations of them. My impression (not a native French speaker) is that the main difference is that the /i/ in /pɛ.i/ is longer. Jun 19 at 13:44
    @PeterShor Even better is to compare pays and paye.
    – jlliagre
    Jun 19 at 21:10
  1. No they can't when referring to the expected pronunciation but if you wrongly use one for another, the risk is low for you not to be understood unless there is a clash with a different actual word. /j/ and /i/ are close but different phonems. In particular, /i/ is a plain vowel that might be stressed and can be pronounced alone while /j/ is a semivowel that can never be stressed and requires an adjacent vowel to be pronounceable. That means that /pje/ is a single syllable word while /pie/ would be a two syllable one, something like pi followed by et.

Here is an example where a mispronunciation would clearly affect understanding:

Quelle belle abbaye ! \a.be.i\ or \a.bɛ.i\: What a beautiful abbey!

Quelle belle abeille ! \a.bɛj\: What a beautiful bee!

1. Yuck pronunciation varying, let's use "yes" as an example. "Yes" starts with a /j/ and is normally a single syllable word while if we force it to start with an /i/, that would be more like spelling the word "es" in English, i.e. the letter E then the letter S. The /j/ sound starting "yes" is used in the remaining French words you cite, not just in fille (/fij/).
    In English, the exclamation yuck (unlike other words beginning with "y") is sometimes pronounced something like eeyuck, and is occasionally even spelled that way. (But I don't think this will help much with the French /j/.) Jun 23 at 12:43
  • @PeterShor Thanks, the OP used yuck as an example. I just replaced it by yes in my reply, although I believe people might occasionally pronounce "yes" with a stressed leading "ee".
    – jlliagre
    Jun 23 at 12:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.