First, don't wonder, the only French sentence I can speak is probably Legammanexistepa, and I would even have to look up the spelling. Still, I have an excellent phonetic memory, and the title of the song I'm after, and which played an age ago as an act during "Jeux Sans Frontières" is "Ils sont là bas" (so much I found out myself, . The refrain, phonetically, is "Lüüsi copy lää", which more sounds like Finnish, and I was not able to turn that into meaningful French. Googling or Youtube brought nothing up either. Anyone who can help me to the lyrics of the song or at least have an idea what my "Finnish" really means?

EDIT: Using the phonetic table, "Lysi kɔpi lɛː".

• It would be helpful to use the IPA to explain what you remember hearing. French phonems
    – jlliagre
    Jul 11 at 21:25
  • Puzzling. Do you remember the year it happened? How did the singer(s) look like?
    – jlliagre
    Jul 12 at 10:41
  • Hmm... Is it ɔ or could it be ɔ̃ ? Is it ly or could it be lɥi? Above all, is it possible it's something like: « [avec] lui, c'est compliqué » ?
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jul 12 at 13:55
  • @Luke Lucie, copie les !
    – jlliagre
    Jul 12 at 14:21
  • @jlliagre: First I thought "Eh, what?", but now that I think of it, the chorus (it was a large group singing, think Les Humphries) might point to the others "là bas" and tells Lucie to follow their example...maybe that solves the riddle. I googled the pronounciation of the name, it fits. Jul 12 at 17:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.