L'appartement se trouvait au neuvième étage d'une immense tour en plein centre-ville. Ça me changeait beaucoup de ma maison tranquille à la campagne en France!

I know the last sentence have to mean something around: it was very different from my... France.

But the literal translation doesn't match this at all: That changed me a lot from my..France.

I tried to check the various meanings of 'changer' but I couldn't find something that fits.

Ça me change de sth is close to "it is a change for me from sth" so here the meaning is :

It was a big change for me from my peaceful/tranquil house in the countryside in France! (Thanks to @Caltor)

The meaning is obviously spot on, but to mirror the original text, I think a more literal translation of the second sentence would be "It was a big change for me from my peaceful/tranquil house in the countryside in France!" – Caltor Jul 21 at 9:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.