If I wanted to say "If you want to play tennis but your parents don't let you do it, I can help", do I say "Si vous voulez jouer aux tennis mais que vos parents ne vous permettent pas le faire, je peux vous aider" or "Si vous voulez jouer aux tennis mais que vos parents ne vous permettent pas faire, je peux vous aider" (one has an extra le) or neither?

• Au tennis (au=à le). And it permettre de faire quelque chose. About le it's you first choice, you need le (don't allow you to do it.)
    – None
    Jul 23 at 7:09
  • I would leave out the "que": mais vos parents etc.
    – Lambie
    Jul 23 at 22:58
    @Lambie No. That would be a poor idea. Que is grammatical here, omitting it is not.
    – jlliagre
    Jul 24 at 23:26

De is mandatory between permettre and an infinitive. The right form is ne vous permettent pas de le faire.

A few comments:

• Despite its final S, the word tennis is singular here so that must be written au tennis, not aux tennis (you don't play "tennisses").

• This is addressed to a kid so the vouvoiement is unlikely.

• Permettre de le faire can be simplified to le permettre, l'autoriser, être d'accord or simply vouloir.

That leads to:

Si tu veux jouer au tennis mais que tes parents veulent pas, je peux t'aider.

• isn't it "...que tes parents NE veulent pas..." ?
    – radouxju
    Aug 4 at 5:22
  • @radouxju It is indeed in formal, written or "school teach" French. Talking to a kid, I would probably never say que tes parents ne veulent pas. It's partially similar to "your parents don't let you go" vs "your parents do not let you go". I might say que tes parents n'veulent pas though.
    – jlliagre
    Aug 4 at 6:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.