I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing this right. Does the first syllable of quel sound like "gel" or "kel"? In the alphabet, q makes a koo sound.

Listening to a native speaker say the word is often a good first step when not sure how to say a word. Shtooka is a multilingual database of audio recordings of words and sentences all recorded by natives (no robots).
    – None
    Aug 10, 2021 at 8:34

1 Answer 1

The IPA transcription of quel is [kɛl]. The consonant k in French is unaspirated and unvoiced.

This is in opposition to g as in goût [gu], which is unaspirated and voiced.

I am guessing from your name that your mother tongue is Chinese, but if I am wrong please correct me.

In Putonghua, the opposition between the syllables ka [kʰa] (unvoiced and aspirated) and ga [ka] (unvoiced and unaspirated) is one of aspiration and not voicing. The difficulty here is that Putonghua ga is variably realized with some voicing as [ga] (see here).

In summary, French k is like an unvoiced realization of Pinyin g, while French g is like a voiced realization of Pinyin g. To a speaker of Putonghua, French k and g both sound like Pinyin g.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.