I read this phrase in a magazine : 'Je pique des crises de nerfs' which I take to mean 'I am afflicted by nervous crises'. I am wondering why it is 'des crises' and not 'de crises' (as it is 'de nerfs' and not 'des nerfs')?

Crise de nerf is a colloquial expression that is used here in the idiom piquer une crise de nerf.

It is a colloquial way to say "to become suddenly upset, to freak out over something or someone".

Similar idioms are:

Piquer une tête: to dive

Piquer un fard: to blush

Piquer un fou rire: to have an incontrollable laugh

Des is used simply because it is the plural of une, there is more than one crisis. English would uses no article here. (singular: I have a nervous crisis / plural: I have nervous crisis)

De is not used here because it is not the plural of un(e).

Let's take care of the basic question first; why "crise de nerfs" instead of "crise des nerfs".

(TLFi) − Spéc. Crise de nerfs. ,,Expression populaire pour désigner des manifestations paroxystiques à caractères neuro-psychiatriques et comportant plus particulièrement des manifestations psychomotrices, et des troubles de la conscience et du comportement`` (Lafon 1969).

You can also find the spelling "crise de nerf" (ngram), and as well "crise des nerfs", but this latter is comparatively rare (ngram, ngram, crise des nerfs).

In this locution there is no article ("des" is the contraction of "de" (preposition) and "les" (article)) because the semantic relation between "crise" and "nerfs" is one that has been reckoned with as that of kind (sort, type,…) rather than another relation.

You say

• "engorgement des amygdales", "inflammation des yeux, des intestins, des veines, des parties, des tissus, etc."

because the various parts are being affected; it's is different with "crise de nerfs" as the nerves are considered to be the agents of the affliction rather than being afflicted. But there is in this remark no solid principle, and as shows the Google page relative to the use of "des" (mentioned above), people do not go by any such principle.

So, a why has no easy answer, and it is more useful to consider that this is merely usage, and at that, it is changing.

The second question has a complicated answer. As is the sentence, "des" is necessary because "de" in this positive contexte comes through as the preposition "de", and the verb "piquer" is "transitif direct" (has an object introduced by no preposition). Since, the sentence aims at saying that the person is afflicted by a certain number of nervous fits, what is called for is an indefinite article (zero article in English, or "some"). There is just one choice in french: "des".

However, if we change the sentence only slightly by just making it negative, then "de" is the right word.

• Je ne pique pas de crises de nerfs.

In this case, we are not dealing with the preposition "de" but with the article "de". This article is necessary for the negative form. This reference, Guide de grammaire française pour étudiants finnophones, l'article indéfini, explains that well (never mind the Finish, or the few details concerning it that are in French).

So, in the negative form this is the proper article, but there are exceptional cases of use of the negative form when you have to revert to the usual "des". Those are so called cases of "partial negation" (also explained in the reference above).

• je n'ai pas des crises de nerfs, j'ai des crises de foie. (the verb "piquer", colloquial, not free of connotations, is unidiomatic for "crise de foie".)
  • Thank you for such a helpful explanation, almost all of which makes good sense to me. However, with regards to 'pique des crises' I had thought 'pique' was an intransitive verb followed by the preposition 'de': I sting ('je pique') due to ('des') crises ('crises'). Is this incorrect ?
    – Tom Adair
    Aug 28 at 18:49
  • That explains it perfectly. Thank you once again.
    – Tom Adair
    Aug 28 at 19:08
  • @TomAdair In this context, the verb has nothing to do with its basic sense (to sting). (TLFi : d) Au fig., fam. Avoir un accès soudain (de), éprouver, manifester brusquement une envie de quelque chose, de faire quelque chose. Piquer une colère, une crise de nerfs, un fou-rire, une rage, un quarante de fièvre.)//What could be added for a better understanding of this use of "piquer" and "crise de nerfs" is that there are really two meanings for "crise de nerfs"; 1/ the medical one which I cite in my answer is not used with "piquer". 2/ Most of the time when people say (1/2)
    – LPH
    Aug 28 at 19:09
  • @TomAdair "J'ai piqué une crise de nerfs." and the like, they really mean that they became angry and that for a spell voiced their anger; there is no question of mental illness. Therefore that is another "crise de nerfs". (2/2)
    – LPH
    Aug 28 at 19:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.