In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtNRZCEfMUI, from 2:45:31-2:45:35, if I heard it right, Macron says « parce que la priorité de la politique, ne vous en déplaise Madame Le Pen ». Why is there an « en » here, my dictionary does not have an entry for « en déplaisir » like it does for « s'en aller » so I'm assuming the « en » refers to something but what?

The en refers to it: the preceding priorité de la politque. Look at jlliagre's answer: (je souhaite) que ça ne vous déplaise pas . The ça is the preceding thought.
    – Lambie
    Oct 8, 2021 at 14:07

1 Answer 1

The en is optional and déplaise is the third person subjunctive present of the verb déplaire here, not a derivate of the noun déplaisir.

Macron uses the set expression ne vous (en) déplaise which is a shorter form of the phrase:

qu'il ne vous en déplaise, i.e. (je souhaite) que ça ne vous déplaise pas (I hope you don't mind).

Nowadays, it is always used ironically and means:

whether it bothers you or not / like it or not.

See also: D'où vient l'expression « n'en déplaise à... » ?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.