On the wikipedia page for multiculturalisme it says « Le multiculturalisme...fait référence à...des politique diverses qui peuvent aller du plaidoyer d'un respect des diverses cultures d'une société, à des politiques de promotion...». How do I translate aller du plaidoyer because DeepL says it means "go from advocacy" but that seems very literal so I'm not sure.

• Don't directly ask about a French to English translation because it is off topic in FSE. Better to ask what exactly is meant if you are unsure.
    – jlliagre
    Oct 11, 2021 at 8:54

2 Answers 2

You shouldn't translate "aller du plaidoyer" on its own. The expression you're looking for is:

Aller de A à B

It means "to range from A to B", "to include anything for A to B". Here it means:

Multiculturalism refers to various policies, ranging from pleas for a respect for the various cultures of a society, to policies promoting [...]

If you want to mention more than two things, a common variation of that expression is:

Aller de A à B, en passant par C, D et E

Or sometimes

Aller de A, à B, à C

In order to understand the sentence you need to cut it down properly :

Aller de [quelque chose] à [autre chose]
To go from [something/somewhere] to [something else/somewhere else]

Aller du [plaidoyer d'un respect des diverses cultures d'une société] à [des politiques de promotion].

Then you need to understand these parts:

Plaidoyer d'un respect des diverses cultures d'une société.
Politiques de promotion.

Personally in this case I would translate plaidoyer by "plea (in favour of...)" and politiques by "strategies".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.