In one Duolingo.com exercise...

1. The original sentence was "He'll be able to study at the city's best university".
  2. I tried "Il pourra étudier à la meilleure université de la ville", and it was not accepted.
  3. Correct answer was "Il pourra étudier dans la meilleure université de la ville".

The question is why doesn't à work here? To be honest dans does not sound natural to me at all.

Also, is it ever possible to use à in the place of dans? If yes would that result in change in the meaning?

You already asked a very similar question a few weeks ago.
    – jlliagre
    Oct 30 '21 at 12:48
  • @jlliagre Haha yes. I was looking for the question you linked, but couldn't find it somehow. Thought it was deleted. That is why I opened this one.
    – Xfce4
    Oct 30 '21 at 21:12
    And right you were to open it, I just can't understand how anyone marked right il pourra étudier dans la meilleure université de la ville, étudier here is not used properly. If you used it in an exam situation it would be considered wrong.
    – None
    Oct 31 '21 at 9:20
  • @None Oh, you point out a mistake about word choice. Thanks.
    – Xfce4
    Nov 1 '21 at 8:58
    @Xfce4 Yes, Although understandable, I doubt anyone would use étudier in that sense nowadays. J'ai étudié l'anglais à l'université (I read English at university). J'ai fait mes études à Cambridge. (I studied at Cambridge). More examples.
    – None
    Nov 1 '21 at 9:19

Il pourra étudier à l'université.
→ Ici on ne parle pas d'un établissement en particulier mais de l'institution.

Il pourra étudier dans la meilleure université (de la ville).
→ Ici il ne s'agit plus tant de l'institution, mais, dans la mesure où on a ajouté une précision qui permet de l'identifier, d'un bâtiment.

Ce serait la même chose avec le verbe aller :
Il va à l'université. / Il va dans la meilleure université (de la ville).

Remarque : En français on dit plus volontiers faire ses études à l'université que étudier à l'université (qui pour moi sent la traduction de l'anglais).

Il pourra étudier à l'université.
→ In this sentence we're dealing with the university as an institution, we are not thinking of a precise building.

Il pourra étudier dans la meilleure université (de la ville).
→ Since you add a precision (la meilleure) that helps concretise (a) building(s) we would use dans.

It would be the same with aller.
Il va à l'université. / Il va dans la meilleure université (de la ville).

Note : In French we'd rather say faire ses études à l'université than étudier à l'université (which to me sounds like a translation from English).

Yes, the main point about the idiomatic way of saying it is very good: faire des études.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30 '21 at 13:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.