En Anglais on peut écrire « He pleases me by washing the car », qui veut dire « La chose qui me plaît, c'est son nettoyage de la voiture. » Mais en français, je ne peux trouver aucun exemple de « Il me plaît par faire qqch » ou « Il me plaît de faire qqch » (où ce dernier veut dire « je trouve plaisir à le faire », plutôt que « je ressens de la satisfaction à l'idée que qqch est fait » ).

Cette construction grammaticale existe-elle en Français ?

In English we'd say: I like it when he washes the car. and not: He pleases me by doing something. which is very odd. It's grammatical but no one would say it. "Il me fait plaisir **en faisant X". He is trying to please me by washing the car. There, too, it's "en" and not "par". by is not always par.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30 '21 at 20:17
  • @Lambie That is not right; You can say "He pleases me by washing the car". Plenty of examples here. ex: So he pleases me by writing short, coherent, analytical assignments and then he's free to write what he likes to write about.
    – LPH
    Oct 30 '21 at 21:06
    Gotta agree with LPH here. I'm actually a native English speaker and a semi-fluent Francophone. The context here is, I was helping a kid with her French homework and she asked... basically the question I just posted. I couldn't find any examples or explanations online, so I came to the font of all knowledge, StackExchange.
    – ETL
    Oct 30 '21 at 21:25
  • Question similaire: french.stackexchange.com/questions/23755/…
    – jlliagre
    Oct 30 '21 at 22:01
  • @LPH Have you actually looked at those hits from Google books?? The entire first page has books from the 1800s and early 20th century and the last one is from a book from Québec! We just don't go around expressing the idea of Il me fait plaisir en lavant ou nettoyant la voiture by saying: He pleases me by [doing x]. It is grammatical of course. It is not usual in every day conversation. In any event, you missed the main point: by is en here, not par. He knows I like it when he washes the car.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30 '21 at 22:31

Traduire "He pleases me by washing the car" par "la chose qui me plaît, c'est son nettoyage de la voiture" n'est pas correct. Ce sont deux phrases certes aux sens similaires, mais bien différentes, qui ne signifient pas la même chose. Sans prendre en compte l'usage commun, cette phrase française donnerait "the thing that pleases me, is his cleaning of the car" en traduction littérale anglaise. J'espère que cette traduction à revers aide à voir un peu la nuance.

Si tu veux trouver une traduction spécifiquement pour la partie "by doing (something)", la forme la plus commune sera "en faisant (quelquechose)".

La clé ici, c'est la préposition "en", qui sert à former le gérondif du verbe faire (préposition "en" + participe présent du verbe, lui-même formé par la forme radicale du verbe + terminaison "ant").
Le gérondif sert de complément circonstanciel, entre autres pour exprimer la cause ou la manière.

• Oui, voilà, c'est exactement ce que j'avais dit. Le par ici, c'est "en" en français.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30 '21 at 22:33

The basic way consists in using a plain conjunction to represent the relation of cause (laver) to effect (faire plaisir).

• Il me fait plaisir parce qu'il lave la voiture.

One might notice how the préposition "par" mentioned in the text of the query is a component in the morphology of this conjunction (par ce que).

The construction "Ce qui me fait plaisir c'est qu'il…"

This construction can be used for expressing implicitly a relation of cause and effect.

• Ce qui me fait plaisir c'est qu'il lave la voiture.

The preposition "en" can also be used to express causality by means of the "gérondif".

(Le Verbe : Le Gérondif - Emploi) Le gérondif comme un adverbe, a une fonction de complément circonstanciel CC.

On utilise le gérondif comme un CC qui exprime le temps, la cause, la condition, la manière et l'opposition.

(Plenty of examples here)

• Il me fait plaisir en lavant la voiture.

• En lavant la voiture il me fait plaisir. (alternative)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.