I have come across references to 'les quatre coins de la Bretagne' and 'les falaises de Bretagne'. It seems more usual not to use the definite article in such a situation, but is there a grammatical principle involved ?

Aux quatre coins de Bretagne is also possible but the form with la is more common. The phrase is about the region as a proper noun:

In every corner of Brittany

I don't think "In every Brittany corner" (or "in every Breton corner") would work.

In the second phrase, the genitive is closer to an adjective:

Les falaises de Bretagne = Les falaises bretonnes ("Breton cliffs" should be fine here I guess)

Les falaises de la Bretagne isn't incorrect though, but less natural. It would work if it wasn't generic (Les falaises de la Bretagne du Nord)

enter image description here

Dans la première phrase, but the form with le is more common --- pourquoi "le" ?
    – Oreste
    Nov 9 '21 at 23:03
    @Oreste Parce que je me suis trompé... Je voulais bien sûr parler de l'article féminin la.
    – jlliagre
    Nov 9 '21 at 23:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.