The primary meaning is You are so strong.

But is it possible to translate it as You are so loud, too ?

What are the other ways to say You are so loud in French?

Tu es si fort [dans un domaine]. You are so good! [at doing something].
    – Lambie
    Dec 5 '21 at 18:14

This can be confusing since the adjective fort can be used in a lot of ways, but not necessarily parallel to the uses of the English "loud".

When talking about people, fort can be used to describe the physical capacity of a person:

• Elle est très forte, elle peut soulever jusqu'à 100 kilos.
    This is about muscle strength. A synonym of fort in this case is costaud.

Fort can be used to talk about the intellectual abilities or skills of a person in a certain field :

• Il est très fort en maths.
    means he's very good at maths.

Tu es si fort without further context usually refers to someone's physical capacity, context usually makes it clear, but it can never refer to the volume of their speech.

Fort can also be used to qualify a great number of things.

• with smell: ce fromage sent vraiment très fort.
  • with taste: ce piment est trop fort, ça me brûle l'estomac.
  • with the volume of speech: parle plus fort je ne t'entends pas.

But it cannot be used directly to talk about the loudness of a person. In this case we have to use fort to modify the verb corresponding to the noise: tu parles trop fort/tu cries trop fort, etc.

Some dictionaries might also give you the adjective bruyant to qualify a person who speaks too loud, but bruyant usually refers to an overall level of noise and not necessarily to speech volume. The same goes with tu fais trop bruit which doesn't necessarily refer to speech volume.

• Thanks a lot. Very nice answer in my opinion. So, in French, there is no direct translation for "You are so loud". I think "bruyant" includes all the sounds a person makes, like moving around, slamming doors, playing instruments, hitting objects etc. It is more like "noisy", I suppose. Is that right?
    – Xfce4
    Dec 6 '21 at 7:20
    @Xfce4 Yes, you're right. In the end the choice will be between Tu parles trop fort and tu fais trop de bruit. And yes bruyant (same etymology as bruit) is noisy (noise→noisy). I didn't tackle the case where "loud" is used for the overall behaviour of the person ("brash") because I didn't think that's what you meant. In that case nothing around bruit will do, exubérant would probably be the closest. And if talking about "loud" colours, then couleurs voyantes would do.
    – None
    Dec 6 '21 at 7:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.