The journal Action (page in question found here from The International Dada Archive) is described using the phrase

Cahiers individualistes de philosophie et d'art

I've translated this literally as "Individualist notebooks on philosophy and art", but does "Cahiers individualistes" have another, non-literal, translation?

• We're not supposed to do into English here in answers but I think that's fine as you did it. I have translated tons of French intellectual stuff into English and there is rarely a consensus though here I can't see anything else that would work. There are other famous notebooks like Gramsci's Prison Notebooks. Usually, notebooks are from one person but not in this case. :)
    – Lambie
    Jan 4 at 0:24
    Here cahiers describes a stitched paperback, a booklet as opposed to a hard bound book. No notes were written on these cahiers, so maybe "notebook" isn't the best translation. Individualistes is an adjective so "individualistic" might be less ambiguous than "individualist" that might be more often a noun than an adjective.
    – jlliagre
    Jan 4 at 2:18
    Here cahier is a synonym of "revue". It is one of the usage of the word (TLF C2 b), lots of literary & art journals are called cahiers. If I had to translate it here I'd use the same word as when translating revue, i.e. "journal".
    – None
    Jan 4 at 9:24
    I’m voting to close this question because as it is written the question is about finding the right phrase in English, which is not on topic on French Language.
    – None
    Jan 4 at 11:06
  • cahiers here is not a literal notebook. It means a collection of writings. Those are called notebooks in English: Gramsci's Prison Notebooks. In English, a journal is a diary and is typically written in a notebook. The Poetry Notebooks of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Publishers typically take actual notebooks and republish them as books but keep the original word notebook used by an author. That is the idea here, too. Typically, they are not "formal" writings.
    – Lambie
    Jan 4 at 16:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.