Frontispiece

Other resolutions are available: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Fleurs_du_mal.jpg

There is a lot of handwriting. So, you need to be specific otherwise the question is too broad.
    – Lambie
    Jan 26 at 16:06
    I don't think 'all the handwriting on this one page' is too broad of a question, but I'm new here. It's a well defined question that can be (has already been) answered in the space of a brief reply. Is it seriously preferable to split this up into six or seven questions: "What does the handwriting say in the bottom right?"; "What does the handwriting say in the top left?". Perhaps handwriting identification is off-topic?
    – Kiteration
    Jan 27 at 0:52
    @Kiteration There is no problem with your question. It is not "too broad", you are not asking to translate a complete manuscript. That's just a few sentences very difficult to decipher by someone not used to this type of writing. Moreover, both the author of these notes and the subject they deal with are perfectly on topic here. We almost hear Baudelaire speaking in real life!
    – jlliagre
    Jan 27 at 15:21

1 Answer 1

Les Fleurs du mal
par (très petit)
Charles Baudelaire

Que penseriez-vous de supprimer le mot poësies ?
Quant à moi, cela me choque beaucoup.

rouge(?)

Orthographe vérifiée sur Les Tragiques

execrables
exécrables

Resuscité est bien bizarre.
Ne serait-ce pas une faute d'impression ?
Prenez-y garde.
Quoi, pas même d'accent aigu ?
Je comprends bien que c'est une orthographe latine, mais comment prononçait-on dans ce temps là ?

Je juge inutile de vous donner un bon à tirer. Faites ce que vous voudrez.

Il est clair que Les Fleurs du mal sont des poésies; le mot par remplaçant poésies serait beaucoup mieux.

I see a period after "garde", which also makes a lot more sense: "Prenez-y garde. Quoi, pas même d'accent aigu ?"
    – Jhyn
    Jan 26 at 13:07
  • @Jhyn C'est vrai, merci !
    – jlliagre
    Jan 26 at 13:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.