Bonjour! Just a minor warning, my native language isn't French.

I was wondering if you have to use quotation marks when writing about a character's personal thoughts.

For example: Cette forêt est dangereuse, pensa Elio en courant pour rejoindre ses sœurs.

Is that written correctly? Because in English we can simply use a comma to separate the inner monologue from the sentence.

In English it would depend whether you wrote the monologue in direct or indirect speech. Consider 'He thought he was sad' vs 'He thought "I am sad"'. I suspect it depends on the same thing in French too (though my French is rusty).
    – abligh
    Jan 28 at 8:37
  • In English, you needn't use a comma to indicate inner monologue. This forest is dangerous Elio thought as he raced to join his sisters.
    – Lambie
    Jan 31 at 15:38

1 Answer 1

As it is not something that has been said but just a thought not expressed verbally, a simple comma is perfectly suitable here in French. Otherwise, that might be:

« Cette forêt est dangereuse ! », cria Elio en courant pour rejoindre ses sœurs.

Note: Not sure about English but in In French, that wouldn't qualify to be called a dialogue because a dialogue implies that more than one person is involved.

• That is not an inner monologue, which is what the question asked about.
    – Lambie
    Jan 31 at 15:35
  • @Lambie Precisely, my answer addresses the inner monologue topic in its first sentence (a simple comma is perfectly suitable here in French). The remaining part of my answer addresses this part of the question "I was wondering if you have to use quotation marks" by explaining in what case they are used. Don't worry, I'm sure the OP got it.
    – jlliagre
    Jan 31 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.